1.Projects to do:
2. Reported Speech
1. «What time does the next bus leave?» he said. «I need to get to the station.»
He/ She asked what time did the next bus leave and that he/she needed to get to the station.
2. «Don’t go swimming in the lake,» she said. «The water is filthy.»
She told her not to go swimming in the lake and that the water was filthy.
3. «Let’s go shopping tomorrow,» she said. «The sales have started.»
She told her to go shopping the next day and that the sales had started.
4. «Stand up,» the teacher said to the pupils. «The headmaster is coming.»
The teacher told to the pupils to stand up and that the headmaster was coming.
5. «Please don’t take my ring,» she said to him. «It was a present.»
She asked him not to take her ring and that it had been a present.
6. «It’s very late, Martin,» his mother said. «Where have you been?»
Martin’s mother told that it was very late and asked had you been.
7. «Shall I cook the dinner?» he said to her. «You look very tired.»
He asked her if he should cook the dinner and that she looked very tired.
8. «Please stop making that noise!» she said to him. «I can’t concentrate.»
She asked him to stop making that noise and that she couldn’t concentrate.
9. «Yes, I dropped your vase,» she said. «I was cleaning the shelf.»
She told that had dropped his case and that she had been cleaning the shelf.
10. «Can I use the car, please?» she said. «I need to run some errands.»
She asked if she could use the car and that she needed to run some errands.
11. «I’m sorry I’m late,» he said. «The car wouldn’t start.»
He told that he was sorry he was late and that the car wouldn’t start.
12. «Why are you teasing your sister?» she asked him. «You know it makes her unhappy.»
She asked why was he teasing his sister and that he knew it made her unhappy.
13. «Why won’t you come to the party?» he said to her. «Everyone would love to see you.»
He asked her why wouldn’t she come to the party and that everyone would love to see her.
14. «It was Rob who broke the window,» he said to her. «He was kicking the football.»
He told her that it had been Rob who had broken the window and that he had been kicking the football.
3. Match the word with the proper definition
- altogether-l a. to behave in an ostentatious way to impress others
- brag -d b. a face seen from the side
- even out -g c. without paying attention
- hold out for d. to tell about your own achievements
- lame e. useless facts
- marvel f. to insist on something
- negligence g. to come into balance
- profile h. carelessness
- illiterate i. to be amazed
- show off -a j. one who cannot read or write
- absently k. to pull hard
- squabble l. completely
- stray m. to argue
- trivia n. to get lost
- yank o. stupid and boring
4. Choose a topic and write an essay.
What makes me special ?. Hmm…
Short answer would be… nothing.
Because I don’t think anyone is special in this world that we live in. That may sound harsh but it’s true, no one is special.
Yes. Everyone is different in some ways but that doesn’t mean they are special.
Everyone has their own way of thinking and being creative but that doesn’t make us any special from others, because I can guaranty that there are thousands of people like u and me.
That sound sad. But for me there is no special human being in this world.
There are people that I think are really interesting, creative that have interesting point of view but that is an person who is just interesting to be around and he/she is not any special.
Well maybe I am wrong and maybe that is my specialty thinking this way but no there are millions of people who think the same way as I do, and that is why I am not special.:):
- «What does the quarantine give us?»
5.Read the dialogues and choose the most appropriate options to complete the dialogues.
Take this medicine for a week and you’ll start to feel better.
Are you sure? It’s the best on the market.
Yes I am. Can you please prescribe another one?
A) What shall i do if unexpected side effects arise?
B) What is the ideal dosage for my weight?
C) No, it’s too early to prescribe another medicine.
D) But I’ve used it before and it did not help at all.
E) It looks as if the illness has already been cured.
How did you like the movie you saw last night?
I can’t say it was the best I’ve ever seen.
Certainly not. Do not waste your time.
A) Did you go alone or with a friend from work?
B) Hadn’t you read the reviews before you went to see it?
C) What do you mean by saying it depends?
D) I knew I could always count on you.
E) Then you wouldn’t recommend it, would you?
What? You crashed the car again?
I’m sure it wasn’t. This is the third accident you have had this year.
You’re very angry now, dad. We had better talk about this later on.
A) I do apologize. I promise it won’t happen again.
B) Was the car in good condition?
C) But it wasn’t my fault. You’ve got to believe me.
D) Was it worth the money and time you had wasted?
E) Why do you ask? Don’t you know it’s too late now?
Why do you think so?
Whenever we meet, she pretends not to see me.
I don’t thin k it’s because she hasn’t got over her anger. She’s having
a bad time at work nowadays.
A) It seems that Martha is still angry with me.
B) Martha will never make a good manager.
C) I have never seen a smarter woman than Martha.
D) One thing that I especially like about Martha is her sincerity.
E) Martha has finally managed to get over her resentment.
Are you kidding? We are in June.
So what? What’s wrong with June?
The right time to trim your roses is the beginning of winter, when they
lose their flowers.
A) Are you going to plant those roses in your garden in June or July?
B) Can you help me prune the roses in the garden at the weekend?
C) I didn’t know your brother knew so much about gardening.
D) Have you got any idea what the right time is to shorten rose plants?
E) Are we supposed to do anything special to keep the roses fresh?
6.Complete the sentences with the most appropriate options.
1. Even though the two parties appear united in negotiations, A).
A) the level of trust between them will always remain, at best, tenuous
B) they weren’t able to agree on the subject
C) they will eventually reach an agreement
D) it is impossible for him to succeed
E) the president unexpectedly rejected it
2. The moment I saw the sad face of my girl friend, B).
A) I begin to feel depressed
B) I have realized that we will have a discussion about our relationship
C) I had decided to leave the house
D) I found out that something was wrong
E) she has gone out to have a walk
3. You had better take your mobile phone with you E).
A) so that you can lose it
B) or I couldn’t have called you
C) because I will not be at home during the whole day
D) If you had wanted to go abroad
E) in case you may not find one when you are in need of it
4. E) when they learned that the chairman would not be able to join the meeting.
A) Hardly had the committee learned the reason of the meeting
B) When they realized why they were all there in that early time of the day
C) It wasn’t until they got a phone call about an urgent meeting the next day
D) However professional they tried to be seen
E) They will have already discussed the most important subjects
5. E), the Grammys are the highest rated.
A) There are many music awards shows in the US
B) Although Grammys are considered to be highly prestigious
C) Because there is only one big music awards show in the US
D) Much as people are looking forward to next Grammy awards show
E) Of the «big three» music awards shows